D-6 Underground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inSearch

Hunting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NuclearWastE3
The Toxic Avenger
NuclearWastE3

Bullets : 2248

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Hunting   Hunting EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 1:50 am

Post any hunting related talk in here. Whether you're against it or with it; anything goes. Ideas, experiences, etc.

If you're sensitive on reading hunting related stories or viewing pictures, please turn away and don't continue on in this thread.

I went ahead and hunted down a cotton tail rabbit at the shooting spot I go to in the desert. I was originally looking for a large eared jackrabbit; but failed to successfully bag one due to them running off into some brush before I took the shot. While walking around, a little bunny jumped out and stood in front of me several paces away. It didn't really bother to run away. At first, I raised my gun and took aim; but then I said to myself "nah, you're too small. I'll let you go and live." I lowered the gun but I quickly grew selfish and took a shot. Now, this is where it gets fucked up and I feel rather shitty for what I did. Simply put, and before it gets into any further detail, the rabbit wasn't killed quickly. Frown Im really sorry and it's indeed disrespectful to the animal and to the "real" hunters.

Don't continue reading if you think this will be too much for you. Its very shitty.

The rabbit was hit and I thought I killed it. It quickly got up and jumped around a bit. I noticed it was injured so I took another shot. Still no good. The shot took it down, but I believe it was still alive. I ran to it and had to snap it's neck so it wouldn't suffer any longer. I have a picture of the dead rabbit, but I don't think I'll post that for certain reasons. It's not gory, but yeah. I wasn't proud on this kill and don't feel it is appropriate to post a pic of it. I made a promise not to hunt another rabbit until I get good at hitting targets at close range due to my SKS's long distance sighting. IT was poor shot placement and I regret having done that to the rabbit in such a poor manner.

I went ahead and ate the rabbit tho; so all is good, in a way. To me, it tasted like very light chicken and heavy on pork. It also had a very sweet aroma while it was being cooked (it smelled like cinnamon) .  Made sure to use as much as I could from it. Made sure to salvage the hide too. Again, I know this was bad.
Back to top Go down
https://d-6underground.forumotion.com
Bamul
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Bamul

Bullets : 2406

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 am

Personally I’ve never done any hunting before, probably won’t have an opportunity to do so either. And if I do then I’m not sure that I would take it. As you might remember, I’m vegetarian. However, I don’t have anything against hunters who do it in a respectful manner and actually make the most of the kill rather than doing it just for sport. The best and most experienced hunters out there are amazing; they look out for the local population of the game, making sure it never drops below a certain level. They help their nearest ecosystem in various ways. It sucks that the rabbit had to suffer so much, but you won’t get better unless you try. The most important part is that you actually ate the rabbit and so on, not just killing it for the heck of it. So don’t beat yourself up over it too much – practice makes perfect. Smile Better luck next time!
Back to top Go down
NuclearWastE3
The Toxic Avenger
NuclearWastE3

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Pictures of dead snake ahead!!!

A good comrade of mine is going to college and studying something within biology and animal stuff (IDK the correct name for it). Anyway, he's really obsessed with snakes and he goes out to the desert, weekly, in hopes of coming across a snake on the road. He's been  fairly lucky; however, every once in a while, one of those snakes just happened to have gotten ran-over by a vehicle minutes or hours before he got to it. Sucks for him, but, for me, it's a thumbs up (in a way). Truly, I do feel saddened that a snake got killed, but when they do, I collect and skin them.

I personally would not kill a snake (just cuz they are so cool....rabbits in the other hand :P ). But out of something bad comes something good. The snake does not go to waste. I do not eat it due to the unknown amount of time it was sitting out in the hot sun, but the snake of the skin is cool to have for a show-piece or to make crafts. Here are a few photos semi-showing the start-to-finish of skinning and tanning a snake.

Turn away if you might find images of a dead snake unsettling:

Freshly found snake. Has some dried up entrails that wound up outside of its body when it got run-over:

Spoiler:

The "goriest pic in this post." all this is is a side-by-side shot of the snake skin next to the meat of the snake. In other words; snake skin separated from everything that was once inside. It just looks like a long piece of meat.  

Spoiler:

Finished product: after drying and tanning the hide, this is what you get. (pic quality doesn't seem to capture how nice the skin really is up in person). Also, in the first pic, you will notice a tear (hole) on the skin itself. This is where it got damaged when it was struck by a vehicle. Second pic is close up of snake head and  mouth.

Spoiler:

Lastly, I have gathered two more snake since this first one. The following pictures depicts the giant size of one of the two that were recently found.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Bamul
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Bamul

Bullets : 2406

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 10:38 am

Nice work - glad to see you're not letting it go to waste heh

Also, I really like how you've developed this kind of hunter's respect for the animals. Smile
Back to top Go down
NuclearWastE3
The Toxic Avenger
NuclearWastE3

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Haha, yeah thanks.  Im not too sure what i'd want to make from the snake skins. Perhaps ill just hag them up or make them into a cool hat-band if I find a good cowboy hat. :P
Back to top Go down
Skaara Dreadlocks
Chivalrous Knight
Skaara Dreadlocks

Bullets : 205

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting EmptyMon Sep 25, 2017 8:23 am

Damn man, that's pretty cool! A rattle-snake, even! :D
How do you even do the "drying and tanning" process?
Back to top Go down
NuclearWastE3
The Toxic Avenger
NuclearWastE3

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting EmptyMon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Haha, thanks bro! and good eye. I forgot to mention it was a rattlesnake.

1)After you gut the snake (and this goes for any animal), you need to spread the skin over a long board.

2)At this point, you run a knife, from the head down to the tail, in a scraping motion (you do this on the inner fleshy side). This is to remove any fat or left over meat that stayed stuck on skin when you separated the skin from the innards. You don't need to be 100% perfect. Just do your best and, at the least, remove the majority. This is a very tedious step

3)Next, you wash the skin with warm water (you can use soap as well).  

4)After you're done,  you take the skin back to the long board, spread it out, and begin putting thumb-tacks or nails all along the outer edges. You need to tack it down with belly side up. This is to keep the skin stretched out during the drying process.

5)Next, you just throw a shit ton  of non-iodized salt (AKA pickling salt)  onto the skin to dry it out. You need to cover the entire skin with no fleshy part showing.

6) you leave the skin out to dry, for at least a day, until you feel that the skin is completely hardened. The time  will vary depending how large the snake is or if you're drying out another animal. Skinning something like deer can take a couple of weeks.  For something as small as a snake, you only need to apply one coat of salt. Anything larger, you'll need  to remove the salt and re-apply fresh coat.

7) remove/brush away the salt. There will be dry salt spots, left over on  the skin, that will not come off by simple brushing motions. Here, you  can get a warm wet rag and vigorously wipe away the dried salt. Using a stiff brush will also help.

8) next part, there are a billion methods of doing this and every way is acceptable.   However, I don't like using chemicals so  I try doing it the old fashion way. After the skin  is cleaned from the salt,  you just apply a coat of "glycerin," onto the skin, using a paint brush. This is a clear, plant based compound used in moisturizing products. Apply a coat every couple hours until the skin no-longer absorbs the glycerin. wipe away any excess and re-peat on the scale side.

Now, on the part above. As for the snake, I found this to be a good method for "tanning the skin." The skin stay supple and doesn't seem like it'll degrade away years down the road. There is another thing you can do, and what Im about to say is a "must" when dealing with larger animals. This can  apply for the snake as well; however, I have yet to try it since I'm very impatient and wanted my  snake skin on the quicks.

Back in the day, after the animal was salted, the tanner would keep the brain, of the animal, and use that as a tanning product. Rule of thumb was that the brain of the animal would be the perfect amount of product to use as a tanning solution. They would turn the brain into a paste and wipe a layer onto the skin an leave to dry for days/weeks. You can substitute the brain by using a chicken egg. Just use the yellow yolk (separate from the white) and spread a layer onto the skin. Cover it up with a moist towel and leave to sit. After it dries, wash away the egg and do the glycerin thing I talked about.

This egg paste is suppose to alter the configuration of the skin somehow and allow to stay preserved forever vs how I explained to do the steps I did for my snake  skin (ie, not using eggs).

Like I said, there are a lot of ways of doing this.  If you ever decide to try this, let me know. I'll give you alternate takes on tanning skins so you can choose what suits you best.  You'll be set all the way up to the salting stage, at least. You can leave the skin salted for years, with no damage, and we can go from there. Smile
Back to top Go down
Skaara Dreadlocks
Chivalrous Knight
Skaara Dreadlocks

Bullets : 205

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting EmptyTue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 am

Cool! :D I'll probably never get any use for this, but hey, the more you know! Smile
Sounds like a tedious job, especially if you're gonna make a brain-paste Laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting   Hunting Empty

Back to top Go down

Hunting
Page 1 of 1