D-6 Underground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inSearch

Universe of Metro 2033

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bamul
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Bamul

Bullets : 2406

Universe of Metro 2033 Empty
PostSubject: Universe of Metro 2033   Universe of Metro 2033 EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 pm

From the get-go, it is worth mentioning that Пикник на обочине [Roadside Picnic] (a 1972 sci-fi novel by the Стругацкий [Strugatsky] brothers) as well as Сталкер [Stalker] (Roadside Picnic's 1979 film adaptation by Андрей Тарковский [Andrei Tarkovsky]) both inspired much of Soviet, Russian and Eastern European fiction in general - including the entire Metro 2033 franchise and even more so when speaking of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. video games and the various stories published as part of that universe.

I made this thread so that it can serve as an easy reference for fans of Metro seeking more English-language information about books of the Metro 2033 franchise, not only regarding Glukhovsky's novels but also the Universe of Metro 2033 series that he launched as a side project involving authors from all over the world. So far Glukhovsky has written 3 novels set in the world of Metro, whilst his hugely successful project has already seen the publication of over 90 books in Russia alone (with some translations and unique stories available in countries like Poland, Hungary, Germany, Italy and Spain).

Most of these have never seen an official release in an English-speaking country and probably never will, so I seem to be one of the few English-language sources for them on the forum and the wiki. I don't know Russian well enough to read books and understand more than half of what is written, so I rely on Polish translations of these novels (most of which are also fantastic). As I read each Polish translation or Polish book from the series, I will create a new page for it on the Metro Wiki as I have in the past and create a new entry for it here in this thread.

They will be listed here with basic information like authors, dates of first publication and setting. The title of each book will serve as a link to its corresponding page on the Metro Wiki, where you can find much more info about it (covers, descriptions, plot synopses, names of translators, more dates, etc.). Without further ado, here are the 2 lists:

Трилогия Глуховского [Glukhovsky's Trilogy]

Метро 2033 [Metro 2033]
Author: Дмитрий Глуховский [Dmitry Glukhovsky]
First published in: October 2005 (Russia)
Set in: Moscow (Russia)

Метро 2034 [Metro 2034]
First published in: March 2009 (Russia)

Метро 2035 [Metro 2035]
First published in: June 2015 (Russia)

Some time after Metro 2033 was published, Glukhovsky wrote an epilogue for it. At first it was not available in English and could only be acquired in Russia or some of the countries participating in the Universe of Metro 2033 project, but prior to the release of the video game Metro: Last Light it was made accessible for English-speaking audiences and shortened/converted into comic form (you may find it here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9MAedcpDO9xcHlNNXFDOThKbDg/edit).

Вселенная Метро 2033 [Universe of Metro 2033]

Тёмные туннели [Dark Tunnels]
Author: Сергей Антонов [Sergei Antonov]
First published in: January 2010 (Russia)

Питер [Piter]
Author: Шимун Врочек [Shimun Vrochek]
First published in: February 2010 (Russia)
Set in: St. Petersburg (Russia)

К свету [Towards the Light]
Author: Андрей Дьяков [Andrey Dyakov]
First published in: June 2010 (Russia)

Во мрак [Into the Darkness]
First published in: July 2011 (Russia)

За горизонт [Beyond the Horizon]
First published in: February 2013 (Russia)
Set in: St. Petersburg, Yaroslavl, Kaspiysk, Vladivostok (Russia), Kazakhstan and the coasts of Southern Asia

Наследие предков [Heritage of the Ancestors]
Author: Сурен Цормудян [Suren Tsormudian]
First published in: July 2012 (Russia)
Set in: Kaliningrad Oblast (Russian exclave)

Dzielnica obiecana [The Promised District]
Author: Paweł Majka
First published in: August 2014 (Poland)
Set in: Kraków (Poland)

Otchłań [The Abyss]
Author: Robert J. Szmidt
First published in: August 2015 (Poland)
Set in: Wrocław (Poland)

Wieża [The Tower]
Author: Robert J. Szmidt
First published in: May 2016 (Poland)
Set in: Wrocław (Poland)

W blasku ognia [In the Firelight]
Author: 12 Polish writers
First published in: January 2014 (Poland)
Set in: Moscow (Russia), Łódź (Poland)

Szepty zgładzonych [Whispers of the Fallen]
Author: 8 Polish writers
First published in: April 2015 (Poland)
Set in: Kiev (Ukraine), Moscow (Russia), Warsaw, Zwonowice, Radom, Szczecin, Częstochowa (Poland), parts of Slovakia and Hungary

Echo zgasłego świata [Echo of an Extinguished World]
Author: 14 Polish writers
First published in: March 2016 (Poland)
Set in: Gdynia, Gdańsk, Warsaw, Zabrze, Kraków, Giewont (Poland), Moscow (Russia), Stockholm (Sweden), Dunmore Cave (Ireland)

Le radici del cielo [The Roots of Heaven]
Author: Tullio Avoledo
First published in: November 2011 (Italy)
Set in: Rome, Urbino, Rimini, Santarcangelo di Romagna, Ravenna, Venice (Italy)

Право на силу [The Right to Use Force]
Author: Денис Шабалов [Denis Shabalov]
First published in: August 2012 (Russia)
Set in: Serdobsk (Russia)

Право на жизнь [The Right to Life]
Author: Денис Шабалов [Denis Shabalov]
First published in: March 2013 (Russia)
Set in: Serdobsk, Penza, Saransk, Ulyanovsk, Zelenodolsk, Yoshkar-Ola, Yaransk, Kirov, Syktyvkar, Ukhta, Beryozovka (Russia)

Муранча [Murancha]
Author: Руслан Мельников [Ruslan Melnikov]
First published in: January 2011 (Russia)
Set in: Rostov-on-Don (Russia)

NOTE: I will post in this thread notifying you of any updates to the list. The topic will remain locked so that all the information contained within remains easy to access. If you would like to discuss one or more of these books, please create a new thread for it in this section of the forum.

Ugh... copying and reformatting this from the original forum was a real pain. :P
Back to top Go down
Bamul
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Bamul

Bullets : 2406

Universe of Metro 2033 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Universe of Metro 2033   Universe of Metro 2033 EmptyFri May 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Added Shabalov's second book, which was a damn good read by the way. Makes me want to jump back into the Metro universe and start reading them again. I've also sorted out the links in the post.

Might actually start creating articles on the wiki for key characters from the series, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down

Universe of Metro 2033
Page 1 of 1